That’s it, it’s official. Queen Elizabeth is now the longest reigning monarch. At 5:30 BST on 9th September 2015, our Queen will have reigned over Britain for 63 years, 7 months, 16 hours and approximately 30 minutes. She surpasses the reign of her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria.
Across the nation (well, aside from republicans), there is much love for our Queen and big brands make the most of that. Here are some clever PR examples of brands who have capitalised on our monarch’s popular profile.
- Kellogg’s: For this recent milestone, the Kellogg’s created a culinary masterpiece fit for a Queen, featuring edible diamonds and pearls. One must have a good brekkie before starting the day!
- Peppa Pig: The Queen joined Peppa Pig to jump in muddy puddles in a special Jubilee episode
- Notonthehighstreet: To celebrate Mother’s Day Notonthehighstreet commissioned a photo of the Queen (well a lookalike) to take a selfie. We especially like the corgi stickers on her phone – nice touch!
- The Body Shop: With more lookalikes, The Body Shop created this clever little video with their version of what happens at Buckingham Palace on the morning of Mother’s Day
- Airbnb: Another brand to go down the lookalike route, timing a stunt around the Queen and Prince Philip’s royal visit to Berlin earlier in the year
- London 2012 Olympics: No lookalike for this, the Queen herself was part of in a James Bond themed film during the opening ceremony of the Olympics. It was reported that “delighted to be asked to be involved in something so exceptional”
This is just my favourite selection of PR stunts, do you have any favourites to add to the mix?
Is it time to shape your reputation?
We operate in London, Paris and Munich, and have a network of like-minded partners across the globe. Get in touch
Sign up to Spark, our newsletter
Receive thought pieces from our leadership team, views on the news, tool of the month and light relief for comms folk